Senior Software Engineer (LIMS) (Remote)
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN).
GRAIL processes patient blood samples in factory-like laboratories to detect cancer and will significantly expand its commercial operations both in the US and abroad over the coming years. As a consequence, engineering teams are tasked with building software and hardware to automate and streamline many processes in the lab.
GRAIL UK is building a remote software team with engineers in both the UK and US that will support these efforts. You will work as part of a full-stack team to design, develop and run systems that will run these industrial style laboratories. Your work will directly support the processing of GRAIL's multi-cancer early detection blood test.
We are looking for engineers to join a remote team with team members in the UK and US. Being remote working with US and UK teams requires some flexibility in working hours but you will be judged on the work that you get done rather than what hours you worked.
- Design, build and run the platform that processes patient samples.
- Be part of a cross-functional team that collaborates with US & UK engineers and lab operators.
- Work on problems that sometimes cannot be solved with software alone.
- Be responsibility for the systems managed by the team and support the operation teams that use the system you build through on-call rotations.
Your background should include:
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, Bioinformatics or similar technical field.
- You have 5+ years of relevant work experience designing, developing, testing and maintaining software.
- You are dedicated, driven and comfortable working in a remote team environment that collaborates with US and UK software and operations teams.
- You have excellent logical reasoning and analytical skills, with a preference for simple solutions.
- You are a strong written and verbal communicator and can adapt your communication style and the level of detail to your audience.
- You have experience working with cloud platforms such as AWS, GCP, or Microsoft Azure.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Following extensive monitoring, consideration of business implications, and advice from internal and external experts, GRAIL US has made the decision to require that all U.S. employees be Fully Vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine. Fully Vaccinated is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine (eg Pfizer or Moderna) or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine (eg Johnson & Johnson) has been administered. Absent a qualifying exemption, all GRAIL US employees are to comply with this requirement, including providing documentation of such vaccination status, as a condition of employment. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation for consideration by GRAIL.
The focus of the role will be developing automation test frameworks and building developer tools. This role will be part of a cross-functional team developing software and automation solutions. You will work closely with DevOps, lab operations, and clinical teams developing software, comprehensive test plans, finding, tracking, and resolving bugs.