Business Development Manager
Emerald is seeking a Business Development Manager to drive new revenue in sponsorship, advertising, media and exhibit sales for our MJBizCon and Emerald Conference From professional grow and processing to financial services, MJBizCon connects industry leaders in distinct segmented areas including Cultivation Products & Services, Processing, Packaging & Lab Services, Retail & Dispensary, and Business Services. The Emerald conference is the original, longest running interdisciplinary cannabis science event and the forum for discussion on discovery science, as well as how sicence and data support best practices in cultivation, production, and quality assurance.
As a true Hunter, the Business Development Manager is responsible for sourcing sales leads through active outreach. After identifying potential targets, this role will vet and qualify leads before facilitating a seamless transition to our Account Management team to close the sale. The Business Development Manager will need to craft a custom pitch for each lead, demonstrating how our event can provide a unique business solution for clients.
The best candidate for this position will be a hunter, motivated by successful sales. We’re seeking someone creative, resilient, and detail-oriented to represent our brand with a consultative sales style. In addition, the Business Development Manager must be self-motivated, and can work independently to meet and exceed sales development goals.
This position can be performed from any of our US-based offices or remotely from anywhere within the US.
- Proactively source and generate sales leads using competitive events, publications, social media, and CRM tools
- Curate and maintain prospect lists to fold into the qualification cycle and generate leads
- Perform due diligence for all sales leads generated internally through marketing initiatives
- Conduct research and needs assessments with potential clients to determine fit and potential for success
- Act as an internal consultant for prospective leads to assist in determining ability to deliver ROI
- Take a creative and resourceful approach to find and generate interest in prospective clients
- Consistent communication with marketing teams to stay in tune with business development strategies for the brands and provide feedback on marketing effectiveness
- Gain and maintain an understanding of market needs to present relevant products and/or services to prospective customers
- Lay out a clear transition plan for qualified leads to Account Managers for closing
- Effectively use internal sales tracking systems to monitor growth and performance in designated products and services
- Entry-level business development experience required
- Experience in the events, media, or cannabis sectors preferred
- Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM required
- Strong outbound telemarketing and phone sales experience required
- Familiarity with digital media advertising, including social media, is a plus
- Strong track record of acquiring and closing new business
- Creative with sales approach, and able to solve tough problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively convey MJBiz’s value proposition to new customers
- Computer literate in all aspects of Microsoft office
- Ability to travel as required up to 25% of the time
- Degree not required
To support our commitment to provide a healthy and safe work environment we require all of our team members to have received the COVID-19 vaccine. We utilize CLEAR as our verification partner.
Emerald’s talented and experienced teams grow our customers’ businesses 365 days a year with products that create connections, deliver content, and drive commerce. We produce over 140 annual events, create and deliver content through print and digital channels, and power commerce through our seamlessly integrated in-person and digital platforms and channels. For more information, please visit http://www.emeraldx.com.
At Emerald, we strive to foster a diverse and inclusive community. We actively recruit and champion candidates who bring new perspectives from varied professional backgrounds and experiences, and we are intentional about ensuring a positive hiring experience for everyone. Our job postings don’t contain experience inflation, and most don’t require college degrees. Instead, they’re crafted to focus on outcomes and transferable experiences that are assessed in a structured interview process carried out by trained hiring teams.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Target Compensation: $70,000-75,000 (Sales Incentive Eligible)
Please note that this range reflects a reasonable estimate of the target compensation for this position. This range may ultimately vary based on a candidate’s qualifications and may be higher where required by applicable law.
We offer a competitive benefits package designed to strengthen our employees’ physical and mental health, including unlimited vacation for exempt employees, flexible working locations, 401(k) plan with a company match, medical/dental/vision coverage with inclusive provisions including transgender services and fertility benefits, parental and caregiver leave, dependent, commuter and FSA benefits, professional development programs like Toastmasters, and mental wellness tools such as the Headspace app and weekly guided meditation programs.
If you need accommodation in our application process or have questions about our posted salary range, please email our Talent Acquisition team at [email protected]